Friday, September 28, 2007

More Books...

Sorry it's been a long time since my last post! Nothing interesting enough has gone on for awhile, but now there's lots to report! So my first topic is what I've read recently...

Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life: Loved this book! It is the memoirs of Queen Noor of Jordan. Queen Noor grew up in the states and met King Hussein of Jordan while she was traveling after graduating from Princeton. It is a great look into middle east politics from the mid 70's until 2000. I would definitely recommend it! Here's a mini synopsis:

"Born in 1951 to a distinguished Arab-American family, Lisa Najeeb Halaby became the fourth wife of King Hussein at age 27. With her husband being not only Jordan's monarch but the spiritual leader of all Muslims, Lisa was unsure what her role would be. This moving memoir provides a timely look at one woman's story against a backdrop of 30 turbulent years: the displacement of over 1 million Palestinians by the creation of Israel, King Hussein's frustrated efforts for peace, and the effect of Saddam Hussein and the Gulf War on Jordan and the royal family. Queen Noor offers intimate new glimpses of King Hussein, Saddam Hussein, Queen Elizabeth, Arafat, and many other world leaders. "

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
. What a great book! Tiffany lent me this one and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is the fictional journal of women who lived with the Cheyenne Indians in the late 1800's. The idea of the book is real. According to the author in 1854 at a peace conference a Cheyenne chief asked the US Government to give the Cheyenne 1000 white women as brides for Cheyenne warriors. The author says "because theirs is a matrilineal society in which all children born belong to their mother's tribe, this seemed to the Cheyennes to be the perfect means of assimilation into the white man's world - a terrifying new world that even as early as 1854, the Native Americans clearly recognized held no place for them."

In real life the US Government missunderstood this request and immediately denied it. This book pretends that it happened and women who volunteered to be Cheyenne brides were sent to live with them. It was very interesting and a quick read, it kept me interested the whole time!

What are you reading right now?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice synopsis of the books! I really enjoyed 1000 White Women too - glad you liked it.

I just finished Harry Potter 7. AWESOME! It's a pretty decent wrap-up of the life that is Harry Potter. I won't say much more for those who haven't read it yet.

Unknown said...

I'm currently reading Water for Elephants, it is about a boy who joins the circus. I have only read a few chapters but it is pretty good so far.

PS. Harry Potter was pretty good

Emma said...

I have Water for Elephants on my shelf right now! It's one of the books I got before I left. I think I'll read it next.